[OSM-legal-talk] A legal question

Eldad Yamin eldad87 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 16:16:47 BST 2011

Thank you Simon and Mike!

First, I must say that my data is not completely driven from OSM map data,
it can be submitted without viewing the map.

Second  (According to what Simon said), I understood that any data that is
derived from OSM map data must be published under CC-BY-SA license.

Does it strict me from deciding who-can-view-what on my service?

For example, a user can decide that only his "friend X" can view his
submitted data, therefore only "friend X" can view and clone the data to
somewhere else (under CC-BY-SA).

Third, I want to stop competitors from cloning data that was submitted by my
users.

According to the question: "Can I charge for distributing OSM data or data
derived from OSM data?":

http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License#What_do_you_mean_by_.22Attribution.22.3F

Does it mean that if a competitor want to use my service (pull data) - I can
explicitly ask him to pay?

For example, in the terms and condition on my website, I can say "the data
is completely free under the CC-BY-SA license, if you wish to copy data and
publish it for commercial use, you will need to pay for it and attach our
T&C to it - please contact us at support at x.com for more details"

Thanks again,

Eldad.