[OSM-legal-talk] Are CT contributors are in breach of the CC-BY-SA license?

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 12:09:28 BST 2011

On 17 April 2011 11:39, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would seem to me that anyone who has agreed to the contributor
> terms and who then edits content that is published by OSM is in breach
> of the CC-BY-SA license.
>
> Currently the OSM database is published as a CC-BY-SA work.  If that
> content is downloaded from the OSM database and modified then this
> creates a derived work.
>
> If that derived work is loaded back to OSM then it can only be done so
> under the same license by which it was received, namely CC-BY-SA.
> That's the nature of the share alike clause in CC-BY-SA.  But anyone
> who has agreed to the contributor terms is claiming that they can
> contribute this content under a different license.

I asked a similar question in
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2010-August/004270.html
and the answer (which I can't find now) from Frederik and others is
that most likely "your contribution" in this case equals to only the
*modification* of the original data.  So you're granting OSM a license
on your modification of the original data, and not the exact contents
of the XML document being uploaded.

Cheers