[OSM-legal-talk] Rights granted to OSMF (Section 2 of the CT)

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Sun Apr 17 21:57:56 BST 2011

On 17 April 2011 18:40, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen
<g.gremmen at cetest.nl> wrote:

> 2. Has the OSMF any commercial intentions ?  I cannot imagine that OSMF
> want to sell the OSM-database to anyone (??!); or is the following
> phrase meant to transfer (sub-license) the right for commercial
> applications to our "customers" and does it need better words ...!
> From CT 1.2.4/2
> " These rights explicitly include commercial use, and do not exclude any
> field of endeavour."

The OSMF is a not-for-profit company registered in England and Wales,
the foundation has no paid staff and it is made up exclusively of
unpaid volenteers. The OSMF board is made up of democratically elected
volenteers. I am not an OSMF apologist, the OSMF definitely does have
warts like: Where are the Board Minutes for the last few months? or
what happend to the GPS2Go program?... and other gripes... But I am
reminded they are volenteers too.

"The income and capital of the Company shall be applied solely towards
the promotion of the objects of the Company; and no part of the income
or capital shall be paid or transferred, directly or indirectly, to
the members of the Company, whether by way of dividend or bonus or
otherwise in the form of profit." source:
http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Memorandum_of_Association

80n was treasurer when the OSMF was formed.

Regards
 Grant