[OSM-legal-talk] Are CT contributors are in breach of the CC-BY-SA license?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Apr 18 15:16:34 BST 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 5:39 AM, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would seem to me that anyone who has agreed to the contributor
> terms and who then edits content that is published by OSM is in breach
> of the CC-BY-SA license.

It seems to me that you are confused, but I think I see where that
originates and have fixed it.

The OpenStreetMap database is currently available as CC-By-SA.  Users
are indicating their willingness to relicense their contributions, or
not, under ODbL.  Current edits are CC-By-SA.  The OSM db is currently
CC-By-SA, only.

In Phase 4, accounts that have not accepted CT/ODbL will be prevented
from further editing.  Accounts which have accepted will continue to
make CC-By-SA-only edits to the CC-By-SA database.  CC-By-SA planet
files, etc. will continue to be publisheduntil the end of Phase 4.
The last of these CC-By-SA-only edits will be the removal of the last
CC-By-SA-only data, leaving only contributions approved by the authors
for both CC-By-SA and ODbL.  That db of CC-By-SA and ODbL-approved
data will be published as the last CC-By-SA OSM planet file.

Then, Phase 5 begins.  That same db from the end of Phase4, consisting
only of data approved by the contributors for both CC-By-SA and ODbL,
will be published as the first OSM ODbL-only database.  Editing of
this ODbL database, will continue by ODbL-accepted accounts as
ODbL-only edits.

I have clarified the Phase 4 title in the Implementation plan[1].  It
said, "CC-BY-SA edits no longer accepted" and now reads, "PHASE 4 -
"Decline" accounts deactivated."  The intent and function of Phase 4
has not changed but the title is now more direct.  I apologize for
your confusion.

Best regards,
Richard

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan