[OSM-legal-talk] Are CT contributors are in breach of the CC-BY-SA license?

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:17:58 BST 2011

On 18 April 2011 15:09, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> Francis
> Thank you for your patience and the detail of your answers.
>
> This whole thing is a complicated business and the subtleties when
> various different licenses and so forth are combine are often
> unexpected.

That's fine. I'm always happy to help. You caught me at a weekend when
there was plenty of time to think about it.

I won't try and answer your questions about "distribution" because I
don't think add anything to what we already know _and_ because there's
some academic argument as to exactly what the "distribution right"
means. I don't think this is the place to rehearse those.

No body can be blamed for finding this difficult. Anyone trying to do
something radically new - and OSM is fairly radical - will often find
themselves caught by laws that weren't designed with them in mind.
Copyright law is not really designed to deal with crowd-sourced map
projects :-).

--
Francis Davey