[OSM-legal-talk] OpenStreetMap.js redistribution

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 23 17:25:45 BST 2011

Hi,
I just found this thread
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-August/052632.htmlstating
the license of the file is AGPL
here stating it is GPL
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2010-August/052633.html

The file is in the osm rails git which is supposedly GPL, but lacking the
GNU standard COPYING or copy of the license, and it is lacking any copyright
terms in the header.
which are of course all optional,
rails/public/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js
http://git.openstreetmap.org/rails.git/blob/HEAD:/public/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js

but here it is being used in an LGPL environment and I wonder if that is
Kosher?
so, thus the GPL code is being redistributed without marking, without
warning in an LGPLed project and it is also not clearly marked
https://github.com/ushahidi/Ushahidi_Web/blob/81041c50a94c1e73e177a7b7a1a9687c2d235f1c/media/js/OpenStreetMap.js

Also in the openlayers example code this is included:
http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/browser/trunk/openlayers/tests/manual/geojson-geomcoll-reprojection.html?rev=9181
openlayers/tests/manual/geojson-geomcoll-reprojection.html:        <script
src="http://www.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js"
type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now I am not an expert on javascript licensing, does that mean I can include
gpled javascript in any webpage that I want without affecting the license or
having to declare where I got it?

thanks,
mike
--
James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania flossk.org