[OSM-legal-talk] I want my access back

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Thu Aug 11 15:27:49 BST 2011

ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen schrieb:
> So by citing my e-mail without a license, you
> made an infraction to my copyright,as you are actually
> republishing copyrighted work

No, only if it wasn't properly cited, as (AFAIK) most IP laws require
you to point out who is the author unless the author states otherwise.
There is no infringement if you state who owns the copyright over what
you republish - the actual reason for creating copyright in the first
place was to make sure proper attribution is given.

> May be we should consider your email (and this one too), as a derived
> work ?

That it would be, AFAIK, yes.

> There must be a limit to what can be considered a breach of intellectual
> property !

True, and that's what CTs and a license are for!

BTW, if you would want to change OSM to be PD, you probably would need
to wipe the map clean and restart from scratch, as most contributors
want an attribution to the project at least - and that's what's not
guaranteed with current CC-BY-SA due to not applying for databases
appropriately in some jurisdictions.

Robert Kaiser