[OSM-legal-talk] I want my access back

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Thu Aug 11 20:23:16 BST 2011

Ed Avis schrieb:
> The CC-BY-SA licence does seem to be a lot more straightforward than the
> ODbL/DbCL combination.

As I understand it, that's because any current CC-BY-SA license does not
really cover databases as described by database laws in some
jurisdictions, and neither collections of factual information as
described in other jurisdictions, while the ODbL/DbCL combination does.

> (Although the uncertainty could be
> mitigated by agreed community norms and agreed interpretations, there isn't
> any body able to define them: the OSMF cannot grant exemptions from the strict
> letter of the licence or issue clarifications about what it means, because the
> OSMF is not the copyright holder.)

Well, IIRC that's exactly one of the points of the CTs, granting the
OSMF the right to allow exemptions in some cases.

Robert Kaiser