[OSM-legal-talk] I want my access back

Simon Ward simon+osm at bleah.co.uk
Sat Aug 13 13:59:07 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 08:59:30PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Guess what - I dont trust the OSMF - In the past the OSMF has decided
> to relicense, decided to use the ODBL and decided upon the CT.
>
> In no way the contributers have been asked - the people who actually did
> the work.
>
> So why should i grant special rights to the OSMF via the CT?
>
> A good point about the CC-BY-SA, CC0, PD, GPL or BSD is that everybody
> gets the same rights. Not so with the current relicensing.
>
> With stating that my contributions are PD/CC0 i grant everybody the same
> rights. The OSMF has stated that they going to delete my contributions
> as i refused to grant special rights to the OSMF.

I couldn’t have said this better myself. I think I tried to make this
point in the past, but clearly didn’t get the message across.

No central organisation should be granted special rights. The grants are
included because of a fear that things will change in the future, and
that OSMF won’t be able to manage the change (not unbelievable,
considering current circumstances). This is the same sort of fear that
makes governments introduce excessive powers, and then come to abuse
them.

On the one hand, I would like to continue to contribute to OpenStreetMap
as a free geodata project; on the other, I want no part in any
organisation, nor to support an organisation, that seeks to obtain
special powers over anybody else.

> Does this only sound suspicious for me?

No.

Simon