[OSM-legal-talk] Fwd: ODbL for publications comparing OSM with a reference dataset

Sun Aug 21 10:25:51 BST 2011

[second forwarded message -- Richard, legal-talk admin]

Hello again,

for one more use case I would like to get your oppinion regarding the
ODbL. Your answers are relevant for our research, and could be relevant
for  Muki Haklay and others who compare OSM with other reference
datasets to analyse the quality, like completeness of objects and
thematic attributes, locational precision, correctness of thematic
attributes.

Use case "Publication on the quality of OpenStreetMap relative to a
reference set"

A publication assesses the quality of the OSM road network by matching
the OSM objects with those of another road network, the reference set,
and then compares the matching objects. The document contains a thematic
OSM map, where the style (colour, breadth, …) of the OSM roads
visualizes a compared quality.  The publication could also contain
charts and other maps where the quality is displayed on grid cells.

Is it correct that only the thematic map with OSM road objects is a
produced work? So only the small table containing the identifiers of the
visible OSM road objects and their quality is a derivative database? And
is this table insubstantial  so that it need not be provided under ODbL?
In particular, underlying our publication is a much bigger table that
contains a matching between the identifiers of the two road networks, as
well as their attributes, which are to be compared, e.g. road category,
name, speed limit, oneway, pedestrian? Is it true that this table need
not provided together with the publication?

Once more, thank you for your comments,
angi voss

--
Dr. Angi Voss