[OSM-legal-talk] Adopt a PD-Mapper ....... was Re: Refusing CT but declaring contributions as PD

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Aug 31 14:25:54 BST 2011

Hi Simon,

Basically no. Our stance is that the only copy of their data that is
accessible is what they contributed only under CC-BY-SA in a database
which is published CC-BY-SA.  Whilst that stance may be arguable, the
number of contributors is small, (3?), there is still a paradox between
making a broad PD/CC0 declaration and not accepting the more limited
subset new contributor terms, and there is a simple, practical solution
without involving folks in a lot of technical work.

Such mappers have taken a principled and clear but minority position
that OSM data should be published PD/CC0 right now and have not accepted
the contributors terms to make that point. The simple practical solution
is to now accept the terms having made the point. Outside the "right
now", the new terms do not logically conflict and provide a rational
mechanism for further engagement with the OSM community on what our
license should be.

Mike