[OSM-legal-talk] instead of replacing data can I just revert to the last known "clean" version?

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 19:56:54 GMT 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 12:03 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I think it would be good to have a tag that mappers can use to say "this object is clean, I have personally checked the history and/or reverted it to a relicensable state, any contributions by non-agreeing users are not present in the current version any longer".

+1
replacing tainted data is a pain with current tools. there must be a some support to define an object (not just a changeset) as clean. This is the only chance to keep object history.
This should apply to all nodes if this tag is set on a way. At least for nodes without additional tags this should be a reasonable assumption. No one will really draw or verify way nodes  independent from creating/verifying a way.  tainted nodes with additional tags should retain only the position. This is really important to keep connectivity of the road network intact. if the node tags are tainted we can not keep them.
For relations this seems be to tricky and I would not go that far to push a odbl clean flag to it's members

> Then, if you revert an object to an earlier version, you'd just add that tag to express then even though the object history does contain contributions by non-agreers, it can remain.
>
> I am experimenting with using the tag "odbl=clean" for this, and will build support for that into the OSMI relicensing view. But the matter still needs to be discussed properly, and with OSM Inspector not being an "official" site in any way, it is not for me to say whether such a tag would be honoured when the day comes.

I assume the LWG will follow your implementation as Simon's later post in this thread indicated.
The final switch is on DB level so we should do some dry run and compare with yours well before April 1st