[OSM-legal-talk] feedback requested

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Dec 20 20:27:19 GMT 2011

Dear All,

LWG would like feedback on a couple of items relating to cleaning
tainted data as we all prepare for the data base transition.

Draft minutes are here.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1ZIQSl0xXpUFbqTeknz61BYgfCINDTzlAWomOiGxhgG8

Of particular interest are:
- can node positions be cleaned by moving to a new position?
- is a mapper declaration of odbl=clean interesting and helpful in
reconciling the data base?

As seen here:

"We discussed the moving of nodes and whether they could be clean: We
have seen a concern expressed where an node is moved by an agreed
mapper and that is the last position, should it not be deemed clean
(even if created dirty)? Conclusion: Yes, we are OK with that, the
assumption being that the move is made in good faith with a reference
source, (survey, Bing imagery, …). We consider that the creation of an
object and its id to be a system action  rather than individual
creative contribution.  Tags on the same node must be considered
separately. The LWG would like to adopt this as policy and would be
grateful for community feedback.

Frederik has recently proposed a new tag, odbl=clean, to be set by
mappers who will vouch for the odbl compliance of any object. The LWG
would like to adopt this as policy and would be grateful for community
feedback."

We look forward to your thoughtful, insightful feedback.

Best regards and Happy Mapping,
Richard Weait on behalf of LWG