[OSM-legal-talk] feedback requested

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Dec 21 12:21:31 GMT 2011

Please don't confuse the matter by treating tagged and untagged notes
the same.

If somebody is improving the geometry of a way because he is
interpolating from the available information (may that be GPS traces of
other ways) then he is doing exactly that, just because he is reusing an
existing object (pre-numbered sheet remember) to mark a new interpolated
position doesn't mean it is a derived work (because it is simply no
different than taking a new sheet of paper with a different number).

Now if you wish to state that interpolation itself creates a derived
work, please argue that.

Simon