[OSM-legal-talk] Coloriuris compatibility

jynus jynus at jynus.com
Wed Feb 2 11:24:48 GMT 2011

Hi,

I have just left a meeting with representatives of my local concil
(Zaragoza, a Spanish city with 700.000 inhabitants). They have the
willing to provide transparency and open data to its citizens,
however, I have not been able to make a clear agreement to license
their data under CC-BY-SA&ODBL. They have their own custom license
which is equivalent in spirit (free usage even commercial,
attribution) and have even more relaxed terms, but I am afraid that it
may not be compatible with current OSM license(s). Upon asked for
explicit permission, they answered that their lawyers had to have a
look at the details of our license. Conversations are still open.

The license is this one [0]. Sorry, it is only in Spanish, but a copy
and paste to Google translate will provide you something more or less
readable.

Another odd thing is that every data set can only be downloaded,
separately, after having signed that you are ok with the license. I do
not know who should be the entity to sign it from our part, in case it
would be useful (the Spanish chapter, the OSMF?). I would not bother
you with the problems with this concrete import I am trying to
negotiate if it weren't because this "Coloriouris licenses"[1],
although not so popular as CCs, are being used for other potential
data sources both in Spain and Latin America. In this case, for
example, it is vector data (some of it, real time!), of all services
of one of the largest municipalities in Spain.

Any help or advice about license compatibility or how to deal with
this subject will be grateful,

[0] <https://www.coloriuris.net/risp-ayto-zaragoza/contenido/104>
[1] <http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloriuris>
--