[OSM-legal-talk] CC-BY-SA / Non-separatable combination of OSM+other

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Feb 2 18:10:32 GMT 2011

On 02/02/2011 05:49 PM, Jonathan Harley wrote:

> I don't see what print's got to do with it.  Any rendering, whether to
> paper or to a screen, changes the bits used; if you take that as the

Where multiple sources of bits are combined to produce a single new
work, that new work is a derivative of each source.

> meaning of modified, then there could be no "unmodified" renderings of
> any database, which means in turn that there could be no collective
> works, so the conditions about being separate and independent would be
> irrelevant.

Combining multiple elements into a new derivative work is not the same
as mechanically transforming a single element to produce a new
derivative work.

It is easy to distinguish them conceptually, legally, and in the licence.

> But I don't think that "rendered" is a sensible meaning of "modified" in

"Combined and printed" is, though.

> this context, any more than changing the font or line length would be
> considered modifying a text.

Modifying font or line length might not change a text but it would
certainly change the typographic arrangement.

- Rob.