[OSM-legal-talk] CTs and the 1 April deadline

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 20:28:13 GMT 2011

On 7 January 2011 05:14, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:
> I almost wish that Tobias Knerr's words earlier in this thread were my own:
>
> "The Contributor Terms are clearly based on the idea that we are building
> a database together. It's not just several people's maps sitting next to
> each other, it's a collective effort, with no clear separation between
> "my data", "your data" and "their data".
> As a consequence, aspects such as the license are subject to collective,
> not individual, decisions."

And I wish the indecisiveness built into the CTs didn't exist and the
project had a clear outlook on where it was going, because at present
even if the CT/ODBL is accepted it looks like some will push for
further license changes to PD.

If OSM is going to PD, fine, but please make this decision clear and
communicate it well, if it's going to stay share a like, fine, but at
present it's neither and this will continue to be a thorn.