[OSM-legal-talk] UK mapping authority switches to Open Government Licence

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Jan 7 17:12:34 GMT 2011

Mike Collinson wrote:
> Thanks, David.  Bother.  Either it refers only to Royal Mail-tainted
> Code-Point data as immediately above the text or the OS are pulling
> a fast one by re-writing the OGL ... making it effectively their old
> problematic license.  Assuming the latter we'll need to lobby.

No, we won't.

OS's OGLified licence remains compatible with the ODbL, because of the
express ODC compatibility clause (which is mentioned in the OS blog
posting).

So the downstream attribution requirement may only be a problem in the
future if OSMF chooses to move to a licence without it (assuming that OSMF
considers that CT 4 gives it that right).

But that isn't a problem now.

Version 1.2.3 of the Contributor Terms state "You are indicating that, as
far as You know, You have the right to authorize OSMF to use and distribute
those Contents under our _current_ licence terms" (my emphasis). They also
only require that you grant rights to OSMF "to the extent that you are able
to do so", so the fact that you can't grant rights over and above those
required by ODbL is not a problem.

> [...]
> "It incorporates the Open Government License for pubic sector information

I sincerely hope it doesn't say that!

cheers
Richard