[OSM-legal-talk] license change effect on un-tagged nodes

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Jul 7 00:47:43 BST 2011

Am 06.07.2011 23:25, schrieb Andreas Perstinger:
> BTW I've just found some high court decisions which clearly state that
> a map (and its content) isn't protected by copyright automatically
> here in Austria. You have to prove individual creativity. Just
> reproducing geographical facts like the course of a street or a river
> is not enough:

Which is really not a big surprise, there a many many activities that we
engage in day by day in which you continuously make decisions (as in
mapping). Should I place the brick a bit more to the left or to the
right, should I place a node there or better here.

Normally none of them lead to a protected work and nobody would confuse
it for creativity (not that a crooked brick wall couldn't be a work of
art, but most of the time it's just crooked).

Simon