[OSM-legal-talk] CTs are not full copyright assignment

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Jul 11 09:25:09 BST 2011

On 11/07/11 09:20, Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer wrote:

>> If you have a better way of defining "active contributor" that is
>> workable then please tell us what it is.
>
> I see no reason to limit the voting right to people who fit the definition of
> "active contributors".

The main reason is that otherwise it will effectively become impossible
to change the license because there will, over time, obviously be an
ever growing group of people who are no longer involved, interested
and/or contactable and once they become a majority the clause would in
effect become null and void because it would be impossible to exercise.

If that is your aim, to ensure that the license can never be changed
again, then fine - that is a perfectly respectable position to take.

It would be dishonest to try and get that to happen via the back door
though, by supporting a vote but ensuring that it will in practice be
impossible.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)