[OSM-legal-talk] ODbl and collective databases

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Tue Jul 12 00:05:03 BST 2011

Well that's what I asked to this list on 17 June [1] , and you will see from
the only answer received (which incendtally was from a member of the LWG)
that an except of an ODbL database will always be a Derivative Database, and
not an ODbL licensed database in its own right.

Its why I asked the question.

Now I'm happy to believe that RW was wrong, but it would have been helpful
if someone had pointed that out before now.  It actually makes a lot more
sense, its a lot easier to see how Collective Databases can come about, and
it helps with a lot of use cases of OSM, but it does rely on the fact that
an except from an ODbL database can be an ODbL database in its own right,
which three weeks ago I was told could not be the case.

Regards

David.

[1]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2011-June/006236.html