[OSM-legal-talk] Phase 4 and what it means

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jun 6 16:22:17 BST 2011

Hi,

Maarten Deen wrote:
> OSMF gains the right do do anything with the data as long as it does not
> breach copyright etc. Certainly there is a gain there. It gains the
> right to exploit the data.

But can OSMF exploit the data more than anybody else?

The contributor terms say "Subject to Section 3 and 4 below, You hereby
grant to OSMF a worldwide, royalty-free, blah blah blah". And section 3
says "OSMF agrees that it may only use or sub-license Your Contents as
part of a database and only under the terms of one or more of the
following licences: ..."

In my eyes this means that OSMF can basically only do what everyone else
can do too.

The one exception might be that OSMF choses the license under which data
is published (from the list under "one of the following..."), so
everyone else can *only* use the data under that license; whereas OSMF
could always use the data under *any* of the named licenses.

But I consider this a really minor and un-important difference, and if
that difference is a genuine concern of yours (and by extension, Mike
Dupont's) then I think that could be remedied without causing too much harm.

Oh, and the other exception might be that OSMF can sue others for abuse
on your behalf. But again - is that a problem? Would you rather have the
sentence about suing for copyright violation removed from the CT, would
that be better?

Bye
Frederik