[OSM-legal-talk] Announce: Beginning of Phase 4 of license change process

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jun 14 21:38:16 BST 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:
> As per the implementation plan [1], we intend to move to phase 4 this Sunday
> 19th June or as soon after as is technically practical. This will mean that
> anyone who has explictly declined the new contributor terms will no longer
> be able to edit, (unless they  decide to accept).  This currently numbers
> 406 in total compared to over 191,000 who now contribute under the new
> terms. They or our forking folks may wish to grab a planet dump now and
> another one just before the phase 5 cut-over to ODbL. Planet dumps are
> generally made every Wednesday as of 11:01 UK time and become available 3
> days later. Next week's version will probably be made on Tuesday due to the
> coming UCL shutdown.
>
> I would emphasise there is currently no need to remove data from the live
> database since the license is still CC-BY-SA. I believe there is no urgency
> to do so until acceptances have been maximised, local issues that have a
> near term solution have been addressed and there is a sense of community
> consensus that it is time. The License Working Group will continue listening
> to all feedback.

Re: planet files. It is my understanding that the planet file
generation job _starts_ at about 1:11 on each Wednesday morning,
London time.  The planet job generally completes about a day and a
half later.  The Full history planet jobs are generated less often and
generally take about three days to complete.