[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Users who disagree to ODbL but want PD / CC0

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jun 16 21:28:04 BST 2011

Hi,

I am moving this over to legal-talk because that's where it belongs.

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> This should have been an option right from the beginning.
>
> PD and ODBL/CT are non mutual exclusive options but the frontend makes
> it one - So i am unable to click on PD without accepting CT/ODBL which
> i think are the wrong way.

The dialog that I always hoped (and fought) for was:

"Do you agree to the new ODbL?

1. My stuff is PD anyway so I don't care what you do.
2. Yes, I agree.
3. No, I don't agree."

My plan would have been to let people who chose 1 or 2 continue to edit,
and only bar those who chose 3.

But there was a lot of discussion about the "PD option", and in the end
it was not made into a full-blown choice like above, but into a measly
little checkbox that many mistake for an "I have read the conditions"
confirmation.

I believe that the reason behind this is that the CT are a contract
between you and OSMF, a contract in which you promise *more* than just
"I don't care what you do"; and it was seen as important that everyone
agrees to the contract.

But I think that it should at least be possible - if not through the
user interface, then by special request - to state that you don't agree
to the contract and you will stop contributing, but your past
contributions are PD.

I am moving this over to legal-talk because that's where it belongs.

Bye
Frederik