[OSM-legal-talk] [talk-au] Statement from nearmap.com regarding submission of derived works from PhotoMaps to OpenStreetMap

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 09:34:04 BST 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Ben Last <ben.last at nearmap.com> wrote:
> The goal of that statement was to allow any contributions that have been
> derived from our PhotoMaps under our current licence (which is what imposes
> the CC-BY-SA redistribution condition) can remain in the OSM db.  Not being

I'm still finding it a bit hard to understand exactly what is meant by
"can remain in the OSM db". Is the following statement correct?
"Nearmap-derived contributions prior to June 17 were licensed
CC-BY-SA*, and will remain part of the main, actively developed and
distributed OSM database even when it changes to ODbL, and Nearmap is
fine with that. However, they refuse to allow any contributions under
the new Contributor Terms, because those call for unspecified future
relicensing."

Also, a question I should probably know the answer to: is  ODbL
considered compatible with CC-BY-SA? Can you relicense something that
is CC-BY-SA as ODbL? (I guess the answer must be yes, but could
someone confirm?)

Steve
* Or ODbL, depending on the contributor and time.