[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] License/CT issues: Let's not punish the world's disadvantaged, pls.

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Wed Jun 22 19:50:35 BST 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Haiti is one small area, most of the time people that copy from google
> don't have permission.

I understand. And so is the humanitarian issue (vs. all mapping done in OSM)
a "small area". But that was what I was talking about. The fact that you
wanted to answer to something else was your choice.

As per tracing from Google in general (outside humanitarian crises), the
answer is simple: redraw geometries as needed and if names are involved,
check,those from legal sources or survey.
No rocket science in this?

> Why don't you urge OSM-F to stick with the current license, after all
> it's the OSM-F pushing for a license change that will end up causing
> data loss.

Because I warmly agree with the points in favor of the license change. Yes,
there's inconveniences in the change because of various things including
that people don't believe that it will succeed (which is what OSM has been
up against since the very beginning, eih?).
But the points in favor are very valid and I'm sure the change will succeed
& protect greater good over time. That is, ensure that the Commons is not
abused.

Cheers,
-Jaakko