[OSM-legal-talk] Exception in Open Data License/Community Guidelines for temporary file

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jun 29 19:56:45 BST 2011

Hi,

James Livingston wrote:
>> If I use software that builds an in-memory data structure which you
>> believe to be a database in order to make a produced work, how
>> would you suggest that I fulfil my obligation to make such derived
>> database available on request?
>
> I have absolutely no idea. It's one of the many things I don't know
> about how the produced works part of the ODbL will work in practice.

Thinking about this more, the problem would only occur if you have a
black-box software wich might or might not create a database internally,
and the thing that falls out of the black box is a produced work that
you will publicly use.

Because then, and only then, will you have to share the derived database
upon which the produced work is based.

If, on the other hand, out of the black box comes a derived database,
then you can simply share *that* database and nobody cares what happened
in the black box, because you only have to share the last in a chain of
derived databases that leads to a produced work, right?

Bye
Frederik