[OSM-legal-talk] Exception in Open Data License/Community Guidelines for temporary file

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 20:15:41 BST 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> If, on the other hand, out of the black box comes a derived database,
> then you can simply share *that* database and nobody cares what happened
> in the black box, because you only have to share the last in a chain of
> derived databases that leads to a produced work, right?

Am I allowed to declare my png mapnik tile as a "derived database", stick an
ODbL label on it an be done with it?

Then I don't have to reverse engineer my render to figure out if or if not
it produces an internal database and worry about having to maintaining a
snapshot of that database for ever and what legal consequences there might
be if my dog eats the backup, etc. I'd be back to the simplicity of
CC-BY-SA, i.e. that all obligations of the licenses are met within the work
I hand out itself and have no additional work (or worries) beyond producing
the product in the first place.