[OSM-legal-talk] Someone ought to do something ... dealing with violations of OSM's geodata license

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 21 18:31:44 GMT 2011

Hi,

Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> I think all
>> that is needed is a clear statement from OSMF saying that they don't
>> feel responsible for chasing up violators
>
> Such a statement would invite everyone to use our data freely and
> without attribution or license care as it basically says "the
> organization governing the product/data doesn't care anyhow".

It is my belief that the organisation shouldn't waste resources on this
except, as outlined in my message, in very grave cases. Anything else
should be handled, as outlined in my message, by the community (if they
want).

Effectively policing *any* license would very likely require a
*multiple* of OSMF's whole current budget. Do you want to stand before
mappers and tell them "for every pound we spend for servers to make
mapping a nicer experience, we spend five pounds to seek out and punish
license violators"?

Bye
Frederik