[OSM-legal-talk] CT, time period for reply to a new license change (active contributor)

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Mar 28 00:14:23 BST 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry that I come quite late with this, it might be too late, and it
> was bothering me occasionally already for some months: if we really
> decided in the future to change the license, isn't 3 weeks a little
> short for such an important issue? I am referring to the time span
> required for an active contributor to reply to an email from the
> foundation. I feel this could be extended to say 6-8 weeks, because it
> is not completely improbable that someone is not reachable for 3
> weeks, and I don't see a need for such a hurry in a case important
> like a license change (note we are now occupied with the current
> license change and discussions for over 3 years).
>
> Of course a potential new license change would most likely not appear
> from nowhere, and implying a benevolent foundation this is maybe not
> an issue, still for formal reasons I think this time span could be
> extended.

You should also presume a benevolent community as well.  Surely we
won't all be on vacation and fail to check mail at the same time as a
sudden call for a vote?  The voter who is out of contact during a vote
period will still have the response of the rest of the community to
speak for them.