[OSM-legal-talk] license for "Wiki Loves Monuments"

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun May 15 06:06:01 BST 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 05/14/2011 06:01 PM, Mike Dupont wrote:
>>
>> Funny, based on my last question, the OSM will not be able to use
>> cc-by-sa data in the future.
>
> Hence the question, I imagine. :-)
>
> PDDL/CC0 for the data would avoid this question, or dual-licencing
> ODbL/BY-SA might be good.

you mean for the wikipedia? Each user is allowed to license their
contributions of photos to commons in they way they feel and store
those licenses attached to each object. The metadata, the position of
the photo is however under the wiki license. Now, the problem is that
OSM is ditching the share alike  clauses which is in the ODBL license,
as far as I can tell which means that dual licensing would in effect
be CC-BY, what i mean is You can dual license, but it really does not
mean anything, because the sharealike wont hold, people will be able
to choose the weaker license.

I just want to remind you that my personal opinion is that the
sharealike clause is a good thing,and why should wikipedia get rid of
it, I really doubt they will.

mike