[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright and License in WFS service

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Mon May 16 08:53:30 BST 2011

Could you tell what is the proper way to credit OpenStreetMap in a WFS service?
I am planning to start keeping my WFS server solidly up and I would like to have
a few OSM datasets in the service. In the beginning they would be the osm_point,
osm_line and osm_polygon layers which are the standard PostGIS layers created by
osm2pgsql with the hstore option for keeping all the tags. In addition the
service would contain some data from the National Land Survey of Finland (NLS).
The NLS datasets have a more permissive license than OSM data, NLS open data
license which is attrirution only and pretty close to CC-BY.

WFS standard defines the AccessConstraints element in the service metadata
and I have sketched to have there a text like

Access Constraints
==================
Contains Map data from OpenStreetMap contributors
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence (CC-BY-SA)
Check also additional OpenStreetMap constraints
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright?

Contains map data from from the National Land Survey of Finland
licensed under the NLS open license
http://www.maanmittauslaitos.fi/ilmaisetaineistot

Would this be enought? WFS service metadata can be obtained by doing a
GetCapabilities request

http://188.64.1.61/cgi-bin/tinyows?service=wfs&version=1.1.0&request=getcapabilities

However, it is possible to download data from the service without ever doing the
GetCapabilities request by sending

http://188.64.1.61/cgi-bin/tinyows?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.1.0&REQUEST=GetFeature&TypeName=osm_point&maxfeatures=20

In this case the OSM data have been imported with osm2pgsql and after that there
are not much left in the data to tell that they come originally from OSM.

Is it enough to use the standard WFS way and include access constraints in the
service metadata where users can read them if they wish or should there be some
other means to make it compulsory to read the access constraints before
downloading data?

-Jukka Rahkonen-