[OSM-legal-talk] OSM Database Re-Build

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Nov 16 11:28:34 GMT 2011

Andreas

Currently there is no agreement on what exactly the
rules/policy/algorithm will be to determine which objects or tags will
survive the transition and as a consequence, all visualizations, stats
and other tools have their own method to determine what the status of a
specific object is. So while I might support the notion that an untagged
node is not more than a piece of white paper with contents that can be
erased and rewritten without invoking IPR inheritance, at least some
people don't agree.

I do believe I can say so much that the absence of a clear policy is
recognized as an issue and at least I have pressed to get it nailed down
(not in every detail) asap.

That said, I believe P2 now has a tool that will completly replace a
node with a new one at the same coordinates which is a bit of a fix for
your specific issue.

Simon