[OSM-legal-talk] OSM Database Re-Build

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Nov 16 20:21:49 GMT 2011

Gert Gremmen wrote:
> Using this O-trick violates the copyright of the previous
> owner, just as copying from google would violate their
> terms of service.

As they have been for at least three years now, Gert, your opinions about
Potlatch are 100% venting and 0% actual knowledge
(http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-December/032278.html,
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-January/032977.html,
etc.)

If you actually _used_ the software - which you've never shown any sign of
doing and which I don't expect you to do any time soon - you would see that
this is simply removing a finger movement from "delete selected node, insert
node at mouse position". The action is exactly the same, yet I don't hear
you clamouring for the "insert node" function to be removed.

It is a simple convenience for the mapper. As you would know if you actually
used it, the node placement is entirely at the discretion of the mapper;
Potlatch does not automatically place a node at the previous position or
indeed anywhere. Just as with any other OSM editing, the mapper will usually
be working from a background layer, such as Bing or a GPS track, and their
placement will usually be based on this. And again, if you actually used the
software, you would also find that Potlatch makes it very easy to add the
source tag to a node or way during your edit, again with one single
keypress.

But why let the facts get in the way of a good rant, hey?

Richard