[OSM-legal-talk] OSM Database Re-Build

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Nov 17 07:37:17 GMT 2011

We (Switzerland and some parts of Germany) have for example started more
or less systematic remapping of anonymous contributions. There is no
real hope that a significant amount of this data will be re-licensed by
the original mappers, and since these objects pre-date the introduction
of history* (versions), they simply have to go.

Obviously remapping doesn't not change the on-the ground geometry so it
is likely that replacement nodes will be at the same or at least nearby
locations, regardless of  data source for the remapping (aerial images,
GPS etc.).

Simon