[OSM-legal-talk] Removal of copyrighted data

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Nov 23 07:32:31 GMT 2011

I have come across some data which I believe was added from a copyrighted
source. After discussion on the local list, this data was going to be
removed for non-copyright related reasons. At the time I didn't realize that
the data was likely problematic from a copyright standpoint.

As deleting it through the normal methods (removing the tag added from the
objects in question) does not remove it from the database, should I follow
up with the user who added the data to check what their source is, and if it
is a copyright issue, refer the issue to the LWG or DWG so they can remove
it, as normal users do not have the tools to remove data from the database
and past minutely replication diffs.