[OSM-legal-talk] Copyprotection for OSM based materil

digi_c at arcor.de digi_c at arcor.de
Fri Nov 25 10:14:53 GMT 2011

Hi,

last days we had a very emotional duscussion here at my university course if it would be ok to protect any OSM generated works for copying by third users. We had some opposide ideas if this is legally acceptable or not:

yes, you can apply additional copy protection, as:
-you don't limit the copy process itself, but the use of the copied material (for, example adding serial number of the medias)
-the CC BY SA doesn't say that you have to make it available in a pure form (so others can USE it), similar to the problems of the GPL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization

no you cant't apply copy protection, as:
-CC BY SA §4.a says "You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that restrict the terms of this License or the ability of the recipient of the Work to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the License.". A Copy protection is to restrict the use of the derived works

But to be hornest, we aren't legal experts, so it would be great to get a statement of people that are more aware of all of the legal aspects.

bye
Matthias
(user:!i!)