[OSM-legal-talk] Copyprotection for OSM based material

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Nov 25 10:56:05 GMT 2011

!i! wrote:
> But to be hornest, we aren't legal experts, so it would be great to
> get a statement of people that are more aware of all of the legal aspects.

1. You cannot apply extra conditions to the licence (CC-BY-SA 4a, as you
say).
2. Your website may have its own terms of use that restrict how you extract
the data from that site (e.g. "no scraping"), but these may not limit what
you do with the data once you've downloaded it.
3. CC-BY-SA indeed does not require that you publish the useful source data.
(ODbL does.)
4. CC-BY-SA does not permit you to distribute DRMed versions: "You may not
distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally
perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use
of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License
Agreement." (ODbL does _but_ only if you also offer a version without such
measures.)

cheers
Richard