[OSM-legal-talk] Copyprotection for OSM based material

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 23:43:03 GMT 2011

Rob, I'm not sure what you mean.

So I'm going to give a simple example. Suppose someone has a table with
museums and their capabilities. He then combines it with OSM to create a
map. If the capabilities is something opaque like "type1" and "type2", then
the resultant map can be useless to us. (Reverse engineering is not
reliable).

It's possible that an exact definition of "type1" and "type2" exist, but
requiring the person to publish it may be too intrusive. For example it
could involve some statistical scoring process like Page Rank (which
involves processing every web page on the Internet).

It's also possible that "type1" can be completely subjective e.g. the
person thinks that the paintings in the museum are beautiful.

So I really can't see how "useful source data" can have a water tight, yet
practical definition.