[OSM-legal-talk] Retain PD mapper's contributions?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Nov 27 13:10:00 GMT 2011

Mike N. wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> there are some people whose edits we know we can keep somehow (even if
>> someone has to manually copy them and upload under their own account)
> Is this a way that we might be able to retain a
> declared-PD-but-CT-declining mapper's contributions?

Yes.

The Contributor Terms say "If you contribute Contents, You are indicating
that, as far as You know, You have the right to authorize OSMF to use and
distribute those Contents under our current licence terms." In other words,
you can contribute anything that is compatible with the current licence
terms. PD is compatible with the current licence terms. PD is compatible
with everything!

So it requires a user to take on the contributions of the "PD/decliner".
This might be done elegantly (i.e. by reassigning their contributions within
the database - pretty much 'UPDATE changesets SET user=the_new_mapper WHERE
user=the_PD_decliner'), if LWG consents. Or alternatively, as Frederik
alludes, it might be done rather more messily, by deleting and reimporting
the PD/decliner's contributions and any subsequent (CT-agreeing)
alterations. Obviously I hope we can use the elegant solution. :)

I've said that I will do this for Tim Sheerman-Chase's contributions.

cheers
Richard