[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL and publishing source data

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Sun Nov 27 22:00:35 GMT 2011

[About requirement to publish source data]

>>I thought that previous discussions on this list had come to the
>>conclusion that you could publish your end product as a derived work
>>under ODbL, too, so it would not be a Produced Work and it would not be
>>necessary to publish the source data.

I believe I was thinking of this thread:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.legal/6306>

I see that you and Frederik disagreed here.  (FWIW I think he is right - a PNG
file can clearly be seen as a database of pixel values.  It is an image too,
and perhaps even a map or a photograph, but legally it would be hard to argue
that it *not* a database.)

Richard F. wrote:

>The "access to source data" clause in ODbL expressly applies to both
>Derivative Databases and Produced Works. 4.6: "If You Publicly Use a
>Derivative Database or a Produced Work from a Derivative Database, You must
>also offer to recipients of the Derivative Database or Produced Work a copy
>in a machine readable form of (etc.)"

Right, so I guess what Kai Kruger wrote "you only have to share the last in a
chain of derived databases that leads to a produced work, right?" is not so?

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniassset.com>