[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL and publishing source data

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:43:32 GMT 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Whatever you publish could have other ingredients than just data; perhaps,
> a few hundred hours' worth of a cartographer's editing in Illustrator.
> *That* you don't have to release; it is yours to keep.

That can't be right.  If I take a produced work and spend a few hundred
hours adding hundreds of facts to it then it doesn't count as a derived
databse?  How do you judge whether a cartographer's efforts are just
worthless prettifying or the introduction of new information?

If you cannot reproduce the Produced Work 100% faithfully from the Derived
Database in what sense does the Derived Database contain all of the
information required to create the Produced Work?

80n