[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL and publishing source data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Nov 28 11:25:06 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 11/28/11 11:58, 80n wrote:
> That's a very fine line you are trying to draw.

Yes, I agree it is difficult. I think that it is entirely possible to
arrive at an identical end product through different processes, where
one process has different license implications than the other.

For example:

I could render a map from OSM and then render something else on top of
it, say a commercially acquired set of hotel POIs. That would clearly be
a Produced Work; I could point anyone asking for the source data to the
planet file and the rendering rule, and keep the hotel POIs to myself.

I could also remove all hotels from my OSM copy and add in the
commercial hotels instead, then render a map from it. Unless the
commercial dataset is missing data, the resulting map could look 100%
identical to the map from the first process, but this time I would be
required to release the hotel dataset because it is part of the derived
database used to create the produced work.

Same thing with your reply to my "pencil" example - depending on how
exactly you update your produced work, you might or might not have to
release a database.

I am interested in exploring this further with the aim of finding good
community norms, nailing down the problem cases, and making the
introduction of ODbL for OSM a success.

I will happily continue a constructive discussion if you share these goals.