[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL and publishing source data

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:17:05 GMT 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:
> I see that you and Frederik disagreed here.  (FWIW I think he is right - a PNG
> file can clearly be seen as a database of pixel values.  It is an image too,
> and perhaps even a map or a photograph, but legally it would be hard to argue
> that it *not* a database.)

Taking this argument to its logical conclusion, every digital file is
a database of bytes and thus everything you create digitally from any
ODbL database is a derived database and not a produced work.

This seems silly.

The European definition of a database is "a collection of independent
works, data or other materials arranged in a systematic or methodical
way and individually accessible by electronic or other means".

Individual pixels comprising a typical image (say a PNG map tile) are
not independent works. Each pixel cannot stand on its own and aren't
useful unless considered together with its neighboring pixels to form
an image.