[OSM-legal-talk] Creative-Commons 4.0 (first draft)

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Apr 3 17:20:02 BST 2012

On 03/04/2012 06:35, Kai Krueger wrote:
> I have just seen that Creative-Commons has released a first draft of their
> new 4.0 license suit and thought it might be of interest to others on this
> list. ( http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/32157 )
>
> The draft for 4.0 now explicitly licenses database rights and addresses
> licensing of databases. However, it does not extend restrictions through
> contract where copyright and database rights do not restrict usage in the
> first place. It also does not have the concept of produced works.
>
> The new draft furthermore addresses attribution in massive collaboration
> projects more flexibly than previous licenses by not having to attribute all
> authors if the project wishes so.

and I received a nice mail from Diane Peters, Creative Commons General
Counsel. She has given me permission to copy it below.

With the license and CTs change-over now almost a reality, I look
forward to engaging in this and sharing our experiences. Do share your
thoughts here over the next few months so that we can make a collective
response in addition to any comments you want to make individually.  So
far the only contribution I have made is an earlier draft of this
document on attributing (geo)data:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd9g3qjp_103fdxjk3qt

Mike
LWG