[OSM-legal-talk] Creative-Commons 4.0 (first draft)

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Apr 7 18:07:45 BST 2012

On 04/04/2012 01:33 PM, Ed Avis wrote:
> I guess the number 1 requirement for CC4, from an OSM point of view,
> is that it be interoperable with the ODbL.

I recommend that people define "compatible" and "interoperable"
thoroughly when discussing them, as they can mean different things in
different contexts. GNU GPL compatibility, for example, basically means
derivatives of the work can be covered by the GPL.

Having read the current 4.0 draft (and IANAL), I think SA 4's proposed
database right copyleft clashes with the ODbL's:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0_Drafts
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/c/cc/4point0_draft_1.txt

"Section 2 – License.

(a)  Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Public License,
Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive
license to:
[...]
(3)	where the Licensed Work is a database, in addition to the above,
extract and reuse contents of the Licensed Work,

[...]

Section 3 - License Conditions.  The rights granted in Section 2(a) of
this Public License are expressly made subject to and limited by the
following conditions:
[...]
(c) ShareAlike.  If you Share an Adaptation,

(1) You must release it under the terms of one of the following:

(i) this Public License,
[...]"

I will raise this on odc-discuss.

- Rob.