[OSM-legal-talk] Creative-Commons 4.0 (first draft)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Apr 7 19:14:07 BST 2012

Hi,

On 04/07/2012 07:50 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
> It looks like with the release of CC 4.0 there may be two share-alike
> licenses suitable for data with different copyleft provisions. CC with a
> stronger copyleft and ODbL with a weaker one that allows produced works
> under a non-free license.

I don't think it is as simple as that; the requirement to share the
derivative database that stands behind a produced work seems to be
"stronger" than what CC does.

Say I use an ODbL database to run a public route planning service, then
I will have to share that database. Under CC-BY-SA until now I would
have had to share the end result (eg web page displaying route
instructions) only, not the full database. In ODbL terms, you "publicly
use" the database and therefore trigger share-alike for the whole
database even if in the course of the individual case of one planned
route only a fraction of the database actually reaches the end user.

CC 4.0 says for share-alike "if you share an adaptation, you have to
release it under ..."; question is whether, they, like ODbL, would
define your routing service as "sharing the adaptation which is the
database", or if in CC's case the adaptation is only the web site with
the route instructions...

Bye
Frederik