[OSM-legal-talk] WAS Re: [OSM-dev] Licence of the Mapnik style?

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 12:55:05 BST 2012

I have posted about this in depth
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-April/024769.html
and
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-April/024770.html

The trademarks that are literally contained in a style are of course always
protected. If you were to embed some protected names or logos without
permission you would have issues.

my hypothesis is that styles that just apply colors etc are not really even
substantial in terms of copyright.
If you were to express some creativity in the way you layout some complex
tunnel structure and wanted to protect that algorithm embedded in map style
sheet it might be possible.
my hypothesis is that gpl and agpl would not protect them in a copyleft
style, copyright does not apply as we have seen, you are not copying the
styles by rendering maps with them, you are basically expanding inline
functions  and applying literals from the stylesheets to map elements.

mke

--
James Michael DuPont