[OSM-legal-talk] Signing of Contributor Terms

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Mon Apr 16 15:57:48 BST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kate Chapman" <kate at maploser.com>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 3:14 PM
Subject: [OSM-legal-talk] Signing of Contributor Terms

> Hi All,
>
> Would it be possible to have someone sign the contributor terms rather
> than login to accept them?
>
> If I understand things correctly if I am talking to a data provider
> who has released their data ODbL they would still need to accept the
> contributor terms to allow the relicensing of the data at some point?
> Is this correct?

I don't think it is correct.  Contributor terms relate, as the name
suggests, to "contributors".  What you seem to be requiring is a more
liberal form of the licence, for the initial data, than ODbL.

If the data provider were to accept the CT's then that would apply for all
edits made by that user directly into OSM.  It does not have any impact of
the "licensability" of data which they supply, but don't themselves enter
into OSM.

If you want other OSM contributors to be able to upload the data, and there
to be no danger of that data having to be removed of OSM licence ever
changes in the future, then the underlying data has to be in a CT compatible
licence.

I would have thought all that is necessary is for the data provider to agree
to release the data to OSM contibutors under "ODbl, CC-BY-SA 2.0, and any
such other free and open licence as defined by OSM contibutor terms clase
3".

David