[OSM-legal-talk] Please, consider that more people want to mark even their future ODBl OSM contributions as CC-BY-SA compatible

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Aug 10 08:14:42 BST 2012

> From: Mike Dupont [mailto:jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com]
> Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Please, consider that more people want to
> mark even their future ODBl OSM contributions as CC-BY-SA compatible
>
> Also since we are on the topic, I think that many people who are in the
> USA cannot legally sign the CT anyway because the would have to ask the
> employeer for permission. If you have signed a NDA you might be
> affected, some companies claim all employees copyright. see the
> discussion on the CC list.
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-community/2012-August/007283.html

If someone is unable to sign the CTs because they don't hold copyright over
their contributions then they'd be unable to legally contribute to OSM or
any open mapping project regardless of the CTs.

If someone is not working in a GIS field I can't see the courts considering
that mapping they did on their own time as being the property of their
employer. If they worked in a GIS field then it could get complicated, but
none of this depends on the CTs.